Saturday, February 4, 2012

A Pear Pie


This is a delicious pear pie recipe I found on the amazing site, Allrecipes.com.  
I used pears from our own pear tree, which made it all the more fun.  :)  


1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
1/2 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
a pinch of lemon zest
5 cups peeled and sliced pears
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice


1.  Combine sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, and lemon rind in mixing bowl.

2.  Arrange pears in layers in a 9 inch pastry lined pan, sprinkling sugar mixture over each layer. Dot with butter. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Roll out remaining dough; cut slits for escape of steam. Moisten rim of bottom crust. Place top crust over filling. Fold edge under bottom crust, pressing to seal. Flute edge.

3.  Bake at 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and bake for an additional 35 to 40 minutes.

7 comments:

  1. Nummers!! (A version of "Yum" or "Yummers" that...one of our Littles...coined years ago) Pear pie is one of mama's favorites! But Jo, you didn't tell us how to make the top look so adorable. SOME of us need step-by-steps for these things... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm.....making my mouth water! Looks absolutely delicious - can't wait to try it sometime!
    The top is quite pretty - did you use a "cookie-cutter" type of thing to cut it out? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Jo! Believe it or not, this post made me even more excited to come home since I know what will be waiting for me. ;) I was also super excited to see that you put up another post; I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo, none of MY pies ever looked this adorable! Your artistry comes out in whatever you do!!! :-) And I can assure everyone that it tasted absolutely scrumptious...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, thank you all! :)

    Sarah, I will tell you how I fancyfied the top of my pie, IF you teach me how to crochet sometime. :D It really wasn't hard at all. Like Emily thought, I just used a cookie cutter to cut out some leaves from the extra pie dough, then arranged 'em on top. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a deal! When do you start coming over for lessons? :)

      Delete